Kilbrittain is a rural parish of about 700 families on the Co Cork coast between Garrettstown and Timoleague and stretching inland almost to Bandon town.
Parish has one priest, one church, two national schools, Parochial House, Parish Hall, Marian Grotto, Holy Well, four Cemeteries.
Parish groups and associations: Parish Assembly, Legion of Mary, St Joseph’s Young Priest Society, Adult Choir, Folk Choir, Children’s Choir, Altar Society, Church Cleaning, Eucharistic Adorers, Church Collectors and Counters, Altar Servers, Child Protection Officers.
Community organizations include Kilbrittain GAA, Tidy Towns, Young At Heart, Ploughing Association Branch, Ladies Club, Red Cross Branch, Scout Troop, Welfare Group, History Society, Local Bus Link, Cancer Connect Bus.
Brief History of Kilbrittain Church
Kilbrittain Parish Church was built in 1790. The priest at the time was Fr. Patrick Geran OSF (1760 – 1814). It was extended sometime in the 1840’s. The Church was dedicated to St. Patrick on the 10th of June 1892. The steps up to the main door were modified in the late 1950s. The sanctuary was reordered in the late 1960s when the altar and surrounding Connemara marble were put in place. New colour glass windows were put in in 1968. The church was refurbished and reordered in 1981. The Mass of Thanksgiving was celebrated on the 5th July 1981. The mansard roof effect was added at that stage to protect the walls from weather. In 2004 the roof was reslated and slightly modified at the south end and in 2007 a new floor was laid in concrete.
Kilbrittain Parish belongs to the Pastoral Area consisting of a group of five parishes, Bandon, Enniskeane, Innishannon, Kilbrittain and Newcestown. Canon John Kingston of Bandon has been appointed Coordinator of this area.
Marriage records go back to August 1810. Baptismal records go back to July 1811. Unfortunately in the very early years there is just a list of names and no date of baptism. Up to 1923 there is only a date of baptism. After that the date of birth is also recorded.